Title and statement of responsibility area
Title proper
Toronto Sportsman Show
General material designation
- Graphic material
Parallel title
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Title notes
- Source of title proper: Title supplied by Kitchener-Waterloo Record staff.
Level of description
File
Reference code
Edition area
Edition statement
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Date(s)
Physical description area
Physical description
5 photographs : b&w copy negatives ; 8 x 10 cm
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Biographical history
The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it was purchased by the German Printing and Publishing Company and was amalgamated with that company's Berlin Daily Record to become the Berlin News Record, and later still the News Record, all published by William (Ben) V. Uttley. In 1918 the publishers of the German-language paper the Berliner Journal, William D. Euler (later Senator for North Waterloo) and William J. Motz, purchased the News Record and changed the name to the Kitchener Daily Record. On July 17, 1922 the Record absorbed the other daily, the Daily Telegraph. With that event, the original three daily papers (the News Record, the Berlin Daily Record, and the Daily Telegraph) became one.
The Berliner Journal began in December 29, 1859 by Frederick Rittinger and John Motz, and was located on Queen Street south, Kitchener. Motz remained editor until his death in 1899, at which time his son William acquired his father's interest. When Rittinger died in 1915 his share was acquired by William D. Euler. The weekly Journal ended on May 10, 1924. The Record’s first staff photographer was Harry Huehnergard, who worked for the paper for 49 years before retiring in 1986 as Manager of the Photographic Department.
In 1948 the Kitchener Daily Record was re-named the Kitchener-Waterloo Record, which name it retained until 1994, when it became simply The Record. In 1928 the paper moved from its home at 49 King Street west to a new building at 30 Queen Street north where it was to stay for 44 years until moving in May 1973 to 225 Fairway Road. When William J. Motz died in 1946 his son John E. Motz took over as publisher. The by-then Senator Euler sold his interest to Southam Press in 1953. John E. Motz died in 1975 and the Motz Family continued to own a controlling interest in the paper until 1990, when it was sold to Southam. In 1998, The Record was sold to Sun Media Corporation, and then in March 1999, to Torstar Corporation. In January 2005, the paper moved its offices to Market Square on King Street east in Kitchener's downtown core, and on March 11, 2008, the name was changed to the Waterloo Region Record.
Custodial history
Scope and content
Notes area
Physical condition
Immediate source of acquisition
Arrangement
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Scanned as TIF files November 2021.
Added to Waterloo Digital Library.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Public Domain
Finding aids
Associated materials
Accruals
General note
53-5312_003 and 53-5312_004 appeared on Page 25 of the Friday, March 6, 1953 edition of the newspaper as part of the article: "Sports Celebrities Dinner Raises $30,000 for Crippled Children."
General note
Photo caption that accompanied published versions of 53-5312_003 and 53-5312_004 : "HONOR KITCHENER GOLFER - A plaque emblematic of his selection as "1952 Ontario Athlete of the Year" was presented to Jerry Kesselring of Kitchener at the Celebrities Dinner in Toronto last night. The photo at left [53-5312_003] shows Kesselring receiving the award from R.W. Hewitson, president of the Ontario Sportswriters and Sportscasters Association. Rex Stimers of St. Catherines, one of the masters of ceremonies, is seen near the microphone. Seated at the table (left) is Horton Smith, president of the Professional Golfers Association of the U.S., and Bruce McGregor, 13-year-old boy representing Ontario's crippled children, to whose welfare funds raised by the dinner will be devoted. The picture at right [53-5312_004] shows Kesselring getting a lesson on the merits of a good hook from boxing champion Joe Louis."
General note
“Crippled” is an outdated and pejorative term used historically to refer to individuals with a physical disability. The use of the term in the file title has been maintained in keeping with Special Collections & Archives’ approach to language in archival descriptions, which prioritizes speaking openly about and clearly identifying problematic, harmful, and otherwise offensive records in the department’s holdings. This approach, while potentially upsetting, allows for the critical assessment and questioning of historical material by contemporary researchers.
Alternative identifier(s)
Standard number area
Standard number
Access points
Subject access points
Place access points
- North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
Name access points
- Kesselring, Gerald Simon (Subject)