File 187 - Poplar tree in front of grist mill.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Poplar tree in front of grist mill.

Level of description

File

Reference code

SCA119-GA92-9-187

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 photograph : b&w ; 13 x 18 cm

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Kitchener-Waterloo Record began with the publication of the Daily News of Berlin on February 9, 1878 and was the first daily paper in the area. It was published by Peter Moyer. Over the years it had several names and publishers: in January of 1897 it ... »

Scope and content

File consists of one photograph of a large poplar tree in front of the Snider grist Mill formerly on the west side of King Street south, Waterloo. The tree grew from a branch used as a whip by a pioneer on the 1806 trek from Pennsylvania to Waterloo. The ... »

Notes area

Availability of other formats

Digitized 2018

General note

Commonly referred to as the "old mill", Abraham Erb's original Union Mills was built in 1816. The Snider family became the owners in 1861. This building was demolished in 1927 and the business continued at 45 Erb Street west, until its 1958 demolition.

Related people and organizations